WE Day ’16

WE Day was an inspiring event that I was chosen to attend in Chicago Illinois. The main topic was motivation and community service. This all began when I founded the Story Time Club at my school. The members of Story Time and I read to the less fortunate children of Coconut Grove every other Friday. We raise money through bake sales and other fundraisers. The principal of my school (Ransom Everglades), noticed my services, and she asked me if I would create a Joshua’s Heart branch at our middle school. Of course, this was a big decision and I was so excited to get going! This all lead to me being invited to an event called WE Day. WE Day occurs all throughout the country. WE Day was founded by two brothers, Marc and Craig Kielburger. IMG_3034Shortly after we arrived at the airport, we met the other members of Joshua’s Heart that would also be going to WE Day. As soon as I met them I felt as if I were among friends whom I have known for years. Every single one of them was extremely kind. When we got to Chicago we went to a restaurant and met Joshua and his mother Claudia. We all ordered lots of Chicago “Deep Dish Pizza”. Then before we knew it we were headed off to WE Day. WE Day had many inspirational speakers. One that really stood out to me, was a woman who had lost her leg during the Boston Marathon. She had been a dancer, and she had thought that this would mean that her life would be over because of the loss of her leg. A while later she was fitted with a prosthetic leg, and she learned how to walk on it. That eventually led to her dancing. She was able then, to dance her way across the finish line of the Boston Marathon. This was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. After WE Day was over, we had snacks in the hotel. As we were talking, one of the hosts from WE Day walked in. We got to talk to him and even take pictures with him! Then a few hours later it was time to head home. When we got to the airport we were blown away by the scene in front of us. There was a line that stretched from one end of the airport to the other. The airline staff all told us that the estimated wait would be about two and a half hours. Everybody in our group had TSA Pre check so they could get around waiting in the lines. My mom and I were the only ones without the TSA pre check though so we were stuck waiting in the airport lines for two and a half hours, but our group didn’t want to leave us alone, so even though they would have been able to easily get out of the airport faster, they came back to wait with us. Our flight ended up being delayed so we made it on time anyway. As soon as we got on our flight, we all started working on homework. Everyone was helping everyone else with their work that would be due the next day for school. We got home at around 1:30 at night. Of course I was late to school the next day, but I still made it for some of my classes. Over all it was an amazing trip and a very inspirational one too. I am so glad that I was able to share that experience with all the people that came from Joshua’s Heart.

Scroll to Top